Thursday 18 October 2012

Jimmy Savile.

A year ago I wrote of the passing of Jimmy Savile. I had forgotten about this, only rediscovering it when i went back through this blog. I had thought about taking it down, but I'm leaving it there for a couple of reasons.

First of all, until any allegation is tried in a court of law, a person shall remain innocent until proven guilty. As the courts do not (any more) dig up the deceased and try them, he remains legally innocent.

Secondly, religious institutions have had many headlines of late where abuse cases have been swept under the carpet. We have to be honest about the actions of our past, because just because you claim to be Christian does not mean you live a saintly life.

Thirdly, I do not want to start down the route of revisionism, keeping only the bits I feel comfortable with.

So the original post will remain. A reminder that trust can be betrayed, and even the most upstanding member of society can have a very dark past.

No comments:

Post a Comment