Tuesday 6 November 2012

Counting The Cost at Christmas.

A letter regarding Christmas marketing.

Dear [well known coffee chain], Your coffee is exceptionally good, although I will confess to being a tea man myself. (Earl Grey, hot.)

Why do you feel the need to jump on the Christmas bandwagon so early in the season? My office tea bar has a mini [coffee chain] franchise, and today I discovered they had moved over to the [coffee chain] Christmas branded cups and promotional materials. When I queried this, I was advised that the use of these cups and flyers was a condition of being part of your group.

It’s not that I’m anti Christmas, but I think it’s pretty unimaginative of your marketing people to centre your promotional efforts around Christmas so early on the year. At least in the USA, Thanksgiving comes before Christmas, but in the UK, there’s no other holidays to stop the progressive seasonal creep of the festive season. And, sadly, I will not be stocking up on your products prior to Christmas. I’d love to give the gift of a skinny latte, but they are too hard to post, so I’ll probably settle for gift vouchers instead.

What about the other things November has to offer? Why not show more support for Remembrance Sunday on the 11th? Or why not do a push for St Andrews day? Leave Christmas for the season of Advent. How about four special brews for the four weeks leading up to Christmas? You could launch this with a big push at the start of December. Make it something to talk about, the shop that dares to be different. Come on, [coffee chain], Be unique. Be daring. Be original. Then you won’t be spending a large chunk of the year being the same as every other unimaginative outlet on the high street.

Kind regards,
spotthegerbil

(Their reply has arrived.  I'll publish tomorrow)

No comments:

Post a Comment