Thursday 15 November 2012

Today

I phoned in sick to work today.  I've done something unhealthy to my back and there was no way I could manage a day of lifting and moving boxes of files, or of sitting in an office chair without swearing after every movement.  So I went into town to pay a visit to the pharmacological chest of wonders that is Boots. 

On the way back there is a bit of a traffic jam.  Something wasn't right, and as I passed one car, there was a man laid out on the pavement with a couple of people standing over him.  I stopped my car, got out, instinctively reaching for the first aid kit under my seat.  Except that I'm in a hire car due to my own car being written off.

I got out and while I'm trying to check for a pulse and breathing, something just isn't right.  A doctor arrived from the surgery, followed by another carrying a small emergency defibrillator. The doctor and I rolled the man onto his back and she commenced chest compressions while doctor 2 started connecting leads.  As we did this, the ambulance arrived, and we lifted the man onto the stretcher.  I adjusted the mans head to make sure his airway remained opened.  After a couple of minutes of compressions I took over.  Believe me it's a lot of work, and it's a very unpleasant experience for all parties.

The ambulance crew load the man and take off in the direction of the city centre.  Our small huddle of strangers that tried to help, all compare notes.  One lady is exceptionally shaken up, and I'm not too happy in myself either.   I try to head for home, but once I get there, I feel the need to go to the hospital.  There's something not right about leaving a nameless person, so I turn around and head in the opposite direction.  Arriving at A&E, after a tortuous trip through the maze of old and new buildings, the receptionist contacts one of the doctors.  I gave him as much information as I could, and I left my details should the family need to contact me.  All I know at this stage is the man is still alive, but still in danger

I'm now back at home.  The family have called, asking for more information, as this is a mystery to them too.  I try to help, but all I know is he wasn't hit by a car, he was just on the pavement when everyone stopped to help.  I now know his name, and I've been asked to call his wife over the weekend. 

It was only the other year that I went through the basic lifesaving course at work.  I never thought I would ever be involved in using a defibrillator in real life.

I've done what I can.  Perhaps in hindsight we could have rolled him over sooner, but not much sooner, so I think it went as well as could have been expected.  Having a group of doctors on hand makes life easier.

So whatever organisation you are involved with, take an hour of your time and do a lifesaving course together.


Oh crap.

2 comments: